New Jersey Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
An experienced attorney who knows how to get results
People are seriously injured in slip and fall accidents in Northern New Jersey every year. These types of premises liability accidents happen at stores, bars, restaurants, malls, hotels, amusement parks, parking lots, and private homes. If you were hurt due to the negligence of another, you deserve financial compensation.
But the legal process can be complicated. That’s why you need an experienced slip and fall lawyer on your side. Attorney David Leigh of The Leigh Law Firm, P.C. fights for people injured in slip and fall accidents in Millburn and throughout Essex and Union counties. He is dedicated to making a difference by fighting for the compensation they deserve. If you’ve been injured, contact us as soon as possible.
Who is responsible for a slip and fall injury?
Property and business owners have a responsibility to keep their premises safe at all times. This responsibility includes regularly inspecting the premises for potential slipping hazards and taking action to repair any known hazards. Failing to meet this responsibility is negligence and can result in an accident that leaves people hurt.
It can be a frightening experience to lose your footing and fall to the floor or pavement. This can happen due to:
- Slippery floors – Hazards are created when spilled liquid isn’t cleaned up right away or debris, such as bags or wrappers, is not picked up.
- Lack of warnings – For example, there should be highly visible signs warning visitors or customers that a floor was just mopped or waxed.
- Tripping hazards – Examples include extension cords, damaged or loose carpets or rugs, loose floorboards, and uneven walking surfaces.
- Ice and snow buildup – Parking lots, sidewalks, and all outdoor walkways need to be kept clear in the winter.
- Inadequate lighting – Walkways, stairways, parking lots, and parking garages need to be properly lit.
- Lack of handrails – By law, stairways and ramps need to have handrails on both sides to help prevent falls.
A slip and fall accident can easily lead to serious injuries. When victims fall on their heads, they can suffer a concussion or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Falling on another part of the body can result in injuries to the back, hip, knee, or shoulder. Spinal cord injuries are also a risk. Some people sustain broken bones in a fall.
What should I do after a slip and fall accident?
There are steps you can take to protect your health and legal rights. After a fall:
- Get medical attention. This may involve taking an ambulance to the emergency room if you are clearly hurt. At the very least, see a doctor within a couple of days. Even if you think you are fine, you could have injuries that have delayed symptoms. A doctor will also document the injuries you do have.
- Report your accident. If your slip and fall happened at a business, notify the property manager or supervisor and ask them to complete an incident report. Just stick to the facts of what happened. Don’t discuss issues regarding fault.
- Take photos and video. Or ask someone you are with to do so. Get photos of the accident scene from different angles. Also, get photos of any visible injuries you have.
- Preserve evidence. If you slipped on something, save the object. Save your shoes, too. This is important evidence in a slip and fall case.
- Get contact information. Ask witnesses and the property owner for their names and contact information.
- Contact a lawyer. It’s important to get legal advice as soon as possible.
Property or business owners may deny doing anything wrong. And don’t expect much help from the insurance companies. They use many different tactics to try to minimize your injuries and limit your compensation.
Attorney Leigh is very familiar with these tactics because he used to represent insurance companies. Now he puts his knowledge and experience to work for the injured.
We take your slip and fall accident seriously right from the start. Our firm investigates your accident to get the facts. We gather evidence such as any video footage. We seek access to business records that can help us prove our case. Attorney Leigh interviews witnesses and if needed, consults experts.
Get a lawyer who puts in the hustle and hard work that wins cases
We know how to build strong cases that insurance companies have to take seriously. Attorney Leigh can handle all communication with the insurance company on your behalf and will negotiate a settlement that meets your needs. This includes compensation for current and future medical expenses, lost wages if you missed time from work, and other damages such as pain and suffering.
You will deal directly with attorney Leigh throughout the process – there are no case managers here. And if you ever have any questions or concerns, you can call him directly on his cell phone.
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident in Northern New Jersey, learn more about how we can help. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced slip and fall lawyer. Attorney Leigh can review the details of your accident, go over your legal options, and answer any questions you have.