Truck Accident Lawyer in Millburn, New Jersey
An attorney who knows how to build winning cases
We see trucks on the streets and highways of Northern New Jersey every day. Most of the time we barely notice them. But if you’re involved in a truck accident, your life can change in an instant. You need an experienced New Jersey truck accident lawyer who knows how to fight the insurance companies for the compensation you deserve.
Attorney David Leigh of The Leigh Law Firm, P.C. is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of his clients by helping them get the results they need. Attorney Leigh used to represent the insurance companies and understands how they handle claims. He builds strong cases that hold negligent parties accountable.
Get an attorney who takes on the insurance companies in high-stakes cases
When a tractor-trailer crashes into a passenger car, the consequences can be devastating. Victims can suffer serious and life-altering injuries. They may need months of medical treatment, and expenses can soon become overwhelming. Many also can’t work because of their injuries, leading to financial stress.
If you were hurt in a truck accident caused by negligence, you deserve financial compensation. But truck accident cases can be complicated. Negligent drivers and trucking companies deny doing anything wrong. Insurance companies fight claims aggressively because there can be a lot of money involved.
We are not intimidated by insurance companies and can help you fight back. Contact us for a free consultation with a truck accident attorney who knows how to win.
Types of truck accidents we handle
- Tractor-Trailer Accidents – When fully loaded, tractor-trailers can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. They are difficult to maneuver, which is why drivers are required to undergo training and need to qualify for a commercial driver’s license.
- Highway Collisions – Trucks weighing tens of thousands of pounds travel on the highway at a high rate of speed. One small mistake by a driver can cause a truck accident that leaves people seriously hurt.
- Jackknife Accidents – A driver may have been speeding and hit the brakes too hard. This can cause the cab and the trailer to fold in on each other, forming the shape of a partially opened jackknife blade.
- Rollover Accidents – These types of accidents often happen when a driver tries to make a turn too fast. Having improperly loaded cargo on board can increase the risk of the truck rolling over.
- Underride Accidents – Tractor-trailers are higher off the ground than cars. In a collision, a car can crash into the side or back of a large truck and slide underneath, resulting in serious injuries.
- Rear-End Crashes – Tractor-trailers need a greater time and distance to come to a complete stop. That’s why truck drivers need to follow speed limits and can’t follow behind other vehicles too closely. Otherwise, they will be unable to prevent a collision if the vehicle in front has to brake suddenly.
What are the causes of truck accidents?
Truck drivers are held to high standards for good reason: if they’re negligent, the consequences can be devastating. Must truck crashes are caused by negligent behavior on the part of the truck driver, such as:
- Speeding – Drivers are given schedules and deadlines for delivering their cargo. They may drive above posted speed limits to try to make up some time. But driving at higher speeds can make tractor-trailers more difficult to control and increases the risk of an accident.
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers spend long hours behind the wheel. They sometimes engage in activities that take their eyes off the road, like texting, adjusting dashboard controls, operating a GPS, or eating and drinking.
- Fatigue – Driving for hours at a time can lead to fatigue. That’s why there are federal regulations limiting the amount of time truck drivers can spend on the road and requiring them to take regular breaks.
- Overloading or improper loading – When there is too much weight in the trailer, the truck can be more difficult to control. And when cargo is improperly loaded, weight can shift to one side of the truck, increasing the risk of a rollover accident when making a turn.
- Unsafe driving – For example, a driver may be unable to stop in time to prevent a rear-end collision if following another vehicle too closely. Failing to check for oncoming traffic when making a turn or switching lanes can also cause an accident.
- Equipment problems – Trucking companies have a responsibility to regularly inspect and maintain the trucks in their fleet. Failing to meet this responsibility can lead to problems while the truck is on the road. Defective tires and brakes can also lead to a collision.
An experienced Millburn, NJ truck accident lawyer can investigate and get to the bottom of what happened.
Recovering compensation after a truck accident can be complicated.
One reason is that there can be multiple parties involved. These include the truck driver, the trucking company, the company that owns the trailer, the owner of the cargo, the company that loaded the cargo, and the truck or parts manufacturer. Each party can be represented by their own lawyer and have policies with different insurance companies.
Another reason is that there are many federal regulations that drivers and trucking companies must follow and different state and federal laws that may apply to the accident. In addition, the trucking company may be located out of state.
Also, insurance companies will challenge claims in many ways. They may deny any liability in the crash. They may acknowledge some liability but argue that you were partially to blame for what happened. They may also dispute the severity of your injuries and ask you to undergo an independent medical exam (IME) with a doctor that they choose. That’s where a truck accident attorney can make a meaningful difference.
How a truck accident lawyer can help you
Attorney Leigh used to represent insurance companies and is very familiar with the tactics they use to minimize injuries and limit compensation. He understands what it takes to fight back against their tactics and puts in the hard work and hustle needed to move your case forward. If we represent you in your truck accident claim, he will:
- Listen to how your life has been impacted by the accident
- Review your legal options for recovering financial compensation
- Give you an idea of what to expect from the legal process
- Investigate your accident
- Take legal action to preserve and gain access to evidence owned by the trucking company
- Identify negligent parties
- File a lawsuit against negligent parties on your behalf, if necessary
- Deal directly with the insurance companies
- Negotiate a settlement that meets your needs
- Fight for you in court if a settlement can’t be reached.
Attorney Leigh can guide you through the legal process every step of the way. There are no case managers here – you will deal with him directly. And if you ever have any questions or concerns, he is easy to reach. You can call him on his cell phone.
If you were hurt in a truck accident in Northern New Jersey, learn more about how we can help. Contact us to schedule a free consultation at our Millburn office. Or attorney Leigh can meet you at your home, hospital room, or another location that is more convenient.
“David Leigh is a sharp and detailed attorney. He also cares deeply for his clients and listens carefully to meet your needs. He is a professional and you can truly trust him with your case. If you are looking for a thoughtful, considerate and intelligent attorney, I highly recommend David Leigh.”