Investigating Trucking Companies
An experienced Millburn attorney ready to fight for you
Recovering financial compensation after you’ve been hurt in a truck accident can be a long and complicated process. It takes time to gather the evidence you need to build a case that proves negligence caused your accident. That’s why you need an experienced New Jersey truck accident lawyer to fight for you.
Attorney David Leigh of The Leigh Law Firm, P.C. knows that trucking companies and their insurance carriers often fight aggressively against injury claims. They know there’s a lot of money at stake. If you were hurt in an accident in Millburn or anywhere in Essex or Union counties, he can help.
We gather key evidence that supports truck accident cases
Following a truck accident, companies will often send out their own investigators to the scene to look for evidence. The reason behind this is to protect their interests. Some of that evidence is owned by the trucking companies, and they are not interested in sharing it.
That’s why our firm takes quick action to preserve that evidence and gain access to it. Some of the information we seek includes:
• Hours of Service (HOS) logs: Regulations from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) – the federal agency that regulates the trucking industry – limit the amount of time that truckers can spend behind the wheel. Their hours spent driving are recorded by electronic logging devices (ELD).
• Electronic data: Trucks are equipped with electronic control modules (ECM) attached to sensors that monitor engine performance and other data. The ECM is sometimes referred to as the truck’s “black box.” It can contain information about the driver’s braking, speed, steering, acceleration, and other factors just before the crash.
• Maintenance records: Trucking companies are required to regularly maintain the trucks in their fleet and make any needed repairs promptly. Maintenance records can reveal whether a company was meeting this responsibility.
• Employment records: These can help determine whether a driver was qualified or had a poor safety record. There may also be evidence of any known previous accidents, moving violations, or other problems.
Our investigation doesn’t end there. We also carefully review accident reports and other documentation. We identify and interview witnesses and if needed, consult accident reconstruction experts who can help us understand how the crash happened. Attorney Leigh determines whether the driver or trucking company was negligent – or both.
Pursuing compensation after a truck accident can be complicated because there can be many parties involved. There is the driver and the trucking company that employed that driver. There may be a different owner for the trailer. Another party may own the cargo on the trailer, and still another may have loaded that cargo. They may be represented by different insurance companies and each may have their own lawyer.
You can expect experience, hard work, and dedication
Attorney Leigh knows how to handle these complex cases and will build a strong case that holds negligent parties accountable.
He will also determine the total amount of damages you have suffered and demand compensation. Your damages may include:
• All current and future medical expenses related to your injury (including ambulance services, diagnostic tests, imaging tests, surgery, hospital stays, home health equipment, home medical care, medication, physical therapy, and follow-up visits with doctors)
• Lost wages if you couldn’t work
• Lost earning capacity (if you can’t return to work)
• Property damage
• Damaged property
• Replacement services
• Pain and suffering
• Emotional stress
• Loss of consortium
• Loss of enjoyment of life
Attorney Leigh used to represent insurance companies. He knows the tactics they use to try to limit compensation and will fight back against attempts to minimize your claim. He will deal directly with the insurance company on your behalf so you can focus on getting better and moving forward.
Many times, he is able to negotiate a settlement that meets your needs. If a settlement can’t be reached, he’ll be ready to fight for you in court. Attorney Leigh will keep you updated on the progress of your case and discuss any settlement offers with you. And if you have any questions or concerns, you can call him directly on his cell phone.
Schedule your free consultation with a truck accident attorney
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident in Northern New Jersey, it’s important to get legal advice as soon as possible. The law allows two years from the date of your accident to take legal action. But it’s important to take steps to preserve evidence as soon as possible, and witnesses may forget important details as time goes by.
Learn more about how we can help. Contact us to schedule a free consultation. We can go over your legal options and answer any questions you have.